First of all, I would like to thank you for cycling into the blog pages of the Korean-World, an adventure hangout that has brewed since 2007 inside the South Korean peninsula. Inside these links, you will begin to explore some of the routes I have followed in South Korea that have led me to faraway destinations like East Turkestan (Silk Road), the Himalayas of western China, Outer Mongolia and North American roads from the Great Lakes of Michigan to the Rocky Mountains of Banff, Alberta, Canada.
This website is not intended to be South Korea-specific for bicycle touring related information. However, I will point you in the right direction to find other informative websites with maps, stories, and photographs of the amazing network of bicycle routes inside the Korean peninsula. I have lived and cycled in South Korea since 2007, now taking on bicycles as a perfect lifestyle to find inspiration, guts, mud and adventures out there.
There are hundreds of posts in general adventure categories. I hope you enjoy the website. - NAMASTE
South Korea related stories and information about bike tours.
- Cycling in Korea 한국에서 자전거 타기 (Facebook community)
- 4 Rivers Bicycle Paths in South Korea (Encompassing the best car-free routes across 1700km)
- Free daily bike rentals in Seoul, South Korea (Passport or National ID exchanged for bicycles*)
- Jan Boonstra's Cycling in Korea website (Korea bicycle touring routes)
- Kimchibytes! A photo essay (Geum River Bike Path)
- CNN story on US Ambassador cycling in Korea (+Video)
- Ride 4 Rivers in South Korea (Short story - 4 Rivers Bike Path)
- Chincha! From Seoul to Busan: Biking Around Korea (short story)
- Follow-up detailed blog about Korea by Expat cyclist Chase
- Korea Herald News on the 4 Rivers Bike Paths development
- 4 Rivers Bike Path (Korea tourism information PDF, For Print reading)
- Kimchi-Powered Cycling through South Korea (Alastair Smith)
- Couch on Wheels: Seoul to Busan by Bike (Aladair's story + maps)
- Bicycle Touring in Seoul metropolitan area: (Yeouido and Seonyudo)
Here is a collection of international bicycle touring journal/photo highlights from 2011-2013 followed by some very valuable links to adventure touring resources you can use to get started.
- Totherocktour2013 - bicycle touring across the Great Lakes, USA to Banff, Canada 3200km
- Mongolia X Journals - collection of journal entries on the expedition 2500km
- Himalayas X Journals - bicycle touring in China, Taklamakan Desert, Silk Road, 3200km
- Expedition Cycles (World touring bicycles) Fat bikes, Touring bikes, Mountain bikes
- Equipment (I am currently using, or have recently used on expeditions)
- Arctic 2 Argentina expedition project (forthcoming) Alaska to Argentina.
- Sponsorship and Adventure travel - Who needs sponsorship?
- Mongolia X journals 2012 (writing samples from Mongolia)
- Himalayas X journals 2011 (equipment lists are useful here*)
- Expedition cycling reference guidebook by my friend Dennis Struck
- Round the world equipment and reference guide by my friend Tim Travis
- Bikepacking reference pages and resource links.
- Fat bike reference pages and resource links. Fat-bikes are omni-terra!
- Crazyguyonabike - the definitive resource, photos, and journals.
- Bicycle Touring Pro (touring information by Darren Alff)
- The Travelling Two (touring information by Friedel and Andrew)
- Across Europe, Mom, Dad and the Kids (Roanoke.com)